Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Never go drinking with an Irishman.

I got a bit of a shiner on my left eye tonight! I got it from this guy I know, and with whom I had started the evening on pretty good terms. Then about an hour later, he gave me this:


He and I were playing basketball with a few other guys, and on one play I tried to cut to the hoop as my teammate zipped the ball in to me, anticipating that I would finish at the rim in this manner:



And I would have finished in that manner, and made Phil Jackson and the whole city of Chicago get all excited and smiley, but I got punched in the face first. What actually happened was the guy took a swipe at the ball to knock it away, but I caught the ball before it entered the area into which he was swiping. So instead of the ball being there to get swiped, my eye was.

The reason you should never go drinking with an Irishman is that his accent might be hard for you to understand, leading to a situation in which each of you thinks the other agreed to be the designated driver, which will pose serious problems once it's time for the two of you to drive home. Especially if he decides to drive and you are here in the Colonies. We drive on a different side of the road than they do, you know.

No comments: