Sunday, December 2, 2012

The great dessert.

The following is an excerpt from a post on an online discussion board for an environmental policy class I'm taking. The discussion was centered around Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire - specifically, what aspects of the novel affected the way class members view the environment:

"Abbey seriously opened my eyes to the value of the great dessert we live in."

If I could choose to live in any dessert, I think I might go with apple pie. I like the variety of climate it offers. In the winter, I could burrow down into the pie filling and hibernate, kept warm and fully sustained by the apples and sugary goop. Then in the summer, to escape the heat, I could climb up to the outer edge of the crust, and enjoy the breeze coming through the window whose windowsill my pie was perched upon to cool. And since we're talking about value, I could slice my pie up, and rent out the slices I wasn't living in to help cover my mortgage. I've got this.



No comments: